Check out the advice given to one of our customers about a case of SMTP timeout. He kept getting “Server time out” error. His account with the SMTP server was fine, so we suggested some settings for the newsletter software to solve the situation. There can be different reasons for the “server time out” issue:
- A slow-down in the Internet connection (please double check your network settings)
- The timeout value is too low (try increasing it, i.e. 300 secs)
- You are using too many connections simultaneously (try reducing them)
- Antivirus(es) or firewall(s) is\are blocking your outgoing traffic after a while (please check their configuration or try disabling them)
- Your ISP may be blocking the port used by SMTP after some traffic (ask them about any policy relating to this problem)
- The SMTP timeout may also be originated from technical difficulties of the server (which is unlikely, as the same problem would have been reported by other users)
Do you want to know how to configure the SMTP server? Check out this video tutorial.